This week is the FGS Conference (Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference) and if you’re like me and are unable to conference but still want to learn, here are my favorite go-to sites for genealogy handouts.
How to Find Free Genealogy Handouts
Most Genealogy conferences don’t allow unpaid visitors to view conference handouts, but RootsTech does. RootsTech is the largest genealogy convention in the world and has classes for all skill levels.
- RootsTech 2018 handouts online
- RootsTech 2017 handouts online
- RootsTech 2015 handouts online (only FGS members can access the FGS handouts)
- RootsTech app for iPhone or Android with 2017 and 2018 (instructions for handouts in this blog)
How to Download RootsTech handouts online
- Select the Conference Schedule icon
- Select Browse by Day (you can search by other tracks but they don’t all work)
- Below each listed class, there will be a PDF icon if that class had a handout
- Select the PDF icon for the class of your choice. A new window will open with that specific class’s description.
- At the bottom of this page is a Resources tab with Handouts. Select Handouts. If there’s more than one handout, select the specific handout you want to see. It will open in a PDF on your computer. You can download it to your computer or print it to your home printer.
- Do this process for any other handouts for that class.
- Do the entire process for any handouts you want from that RootsTech Conference.
LegacyFamilyTree Webinars Handouts
LegacyFamilyTree Webinars is a subscription site that also has some FREE webinars. This is one of the few subscription sites I pay for. I love the diversity of topics and the expertise of the presenters. When they offer a free webinar, they usually make it free to view and download the handout/syllabus for one week.
- sign up for free webinars with handouts
- free archived webinars library, you can just download the handouts/syllabi if you don’t want to hear the webinars
BYU Family History Library Webinar Handouts
BYU offers free weekly webinars and some include handouts.
- webinar handouts (scroll to the bottom of the page for specific webinar handout links)
Southern California Genealogical Society Handouts
The Southern California Genealogical Society is a large, successful society which holds yearly conventions and regular webinars. Webinars are free to watch live, but archived webinars are only available for members of the society. They do offer a small sampling of archived webinars with handouts, linked below.
FamilySearch Family History Library Webinars and Handouts
FamilySearch is a completely free genealogy site sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and they offer monthly webinars. You can view archived webinars or sign up for an upcoming webinar, both will often include handouts.
- Family History Library Webinars, Classes, and Handouts (scroll down for archived classes & handouts – can view by geographic area)
- FamilySearch Family History Classes & Handouts (search by your topic of interest, many classes include handouts)
Best in your research!!!
Here’s a pinnable image to save for future reference and you can follow these OnGenealogy Pinterest boards for more tips from other bloggers:
- Genealogy Tips
- Free Genealogy Sites
- Genealogy Articles | Genealogy Blog Posts
- What’s New in Genealogy