Alabama Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 is a free index at FamilySearch with more than 6,000 Alabama birth, baptism, and christening records. this index is not complete for any county.
These collections are all free to search. You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Birth Records?
These records may contain:
- Name of the child
- Names of the parents
- Birth date
- Christening date (if the source is a church record)
- Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
- Father’s birthplace
- Mother’s birthplace
How Can Birth Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records