Alabama Probate Records, 1809-1985 is a free collection at FamilySearch of online Alabama Probate Records in a browsable collection with more than 300,000 images. This collection includes wills, administrations, guardianships, inventories, bond, and other probate records.
These collections are all free to search. You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Probate Records?
These records may contain:
- Name of testator or deceased
- Event year
- Event place
- Names of heirs such as spouse, children, and other relatives or friends
- Sometimes the date of death
How Can Probate Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Use a probate record to identify guardians, heirs and relatives
- Use a will to approximate a death date, then find a death certificate
- Use the information in the probate record to substitute for civil birth and death records for earlier years
- Use the information to locate census, christening, marriage and land records
- Search for military records