Alabama, Southern Claims Commission Approved Claims, 1871-1880 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a name index and images of claims by people seeking compensation for lost or destroyed property as a result of the US Civil War.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Court Records?
These records may contain:
- Name of claimant
- Description and value of property
- Date of incident
- Details of incident
- Witnesses’ names
- Place of incident
- Document and recording dates
How Can Court Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Use the information to find vital records such as birth, marriage and death
- Use the occupations listed to find other types of records, such as employment or military records
- Use the information to find additional family members in census records
- Search for land, probate, and church records