Alabama, Sumter County Circuit Court Files, 1840-1950 is a free collection at FamilySearch with images of court records from Sumter County, Alabama. There is no searchable name index for these records.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Court Records?
These records may contain:
- The names of interested parties
- The date of the court proceeding or transaction
- Details of the case
- The amount of monies exchanged or paid
- The names of witnesses
How Can Court Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Use a probate record to identify adoptions, guardians, heirs and relatives
- Use a will to approximate a death date, then find a death certificate
- Use the information in the probate record to substitute for civil birth and death records for earlier years
- Use the information found in court files to locate census, christenings, marriage and land records
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records