American Ancestors is the official website for the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS), “America’s founding genealogical organization and the most respected name in family history. Established in 1845, NEHGS is the nation’s leading comprehensive resource for family history research and the largest Society of its kind in the world. We provide expert family history services through our staff, original scholarship, data-rich website, educational opportunities, and research center to help family historians of all levels explore their past and understand their families’ unique place in history.”
“We are a member-based nonprofit corporation dedicated to advancing the study of family history in America and beyond, by educating, inspiring, and connecting people through our scholarship, collections, and expertise.”
More specifically their offerings include:
- An online, searchable database with over 1 billion records including “the largest searchable collection of published genealogical research journals and magazines.” Their content is especially strong in the New England area, but is not restricted to the states.
- Educational lectures, seminars, online courses, webinars, tours, and special events
- An eight-story library facility archiving records from the 14th century onward including North American records as well as European records and more.
- Ask a Genealogist service for general genealogy questions
- Professional research services for help with personal family history research
- The Weekly Genealogist, a professional genealogical publication
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register published quarterly since 1847, focusing on compiled genealogies
- Free access (for NEHGS members) to these subscription databases: 19th Century Newspapers and Marquis Biographies Online
- They sometimes run an offer with eleven free databases and 30 days free access to new databases for all guest users (just sign up for a free account to receive these benefits)
- An online bookstore with new releases, used books, and more