American-French Genealogical Society is dedicated to the people of French-Canadian ancestry and preserves their heritage and records. They have a free marriage database and members have access to other databases.
Members of the American-French Genealogical Society are eligible for the following benefits:
- Access to the Research Library, which is open every Monday, 11 am – 4 pm, every Tuesday, 1 pm to 9 pm, and Saturdays, 10 am to 4 pm. (Closed Saturdays during July)
- Right to attend the annual business meeting including election of the slate for board of directors. The meeting is held on a Saturday morning in October.
- Members have access to Je Me Souviens filled with resources for genealogists, member-submitted stories about their research and ancestors and much more on the members-only area on this web site.
- New members receive individual assistance and training from experienced and highly competent members.
- Members unable to conduct their own research can utilize the resources of the library through the Research Committee, a staff of experienced researchers available at low member rates.
Membership Fees: US – $35 Outside US – $45
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records
Hessian Marriages in Quebec – FREE downloadable database
Obituaries – MEMBERS – Access nearly 200 volumes with 500 pages in each volume from all over the country
Daily Life Records
Acadian Heritage – Our aim is to highlight genealogical sources, historical events and places, language, food, music and joie de vivre typical of this group, to shed light on what may be a difficult area of your family history research.
Family History Center – The American-French Genealogical Society (AFGS) is a Family History Center affiliate library. The designation means Society members and the public will have greater and more convenient access to the wealth of genealogical resources available through Family History Library.
Library – Review our vast list of resources including AFGS and other books and publications, public records, other research materials, microfilm, CDs and computers.
Film Room – View approximately 6,800 microfilms and some microfiche on file for your viewing. This is made up of many collections, first and foremost is our prestigious Drouin Institute microfilms, as well as other collections listed in the Film Room Holdings section.
Modern Helps – DNA
DNA/Genetics – FamilyTreeDNA is offering AFGS members occasional discounts for DNA tests. By placing your order at the American-French Genealogical Society (AFGS) ordering page on FamilyTreeDNA you help the society earn money.
Names and Surnames
Databases – MEMBERS – Access our database of surname variation or link to the Rhode Island cemeteries database. Members receive online access to indices and additional databases.