The official website for the Arizona State Archives under the direction of the Secretary of State of Arizona.
The State Archives, located in the Polly Rosenbaum Archives and History Building, collects, preserves and makes available to the public and all branches of government, permanent public records, historical manuscripts, photographs and other materials that contribute to the understanding of Arizona history. The Records Management Center administers the management of public records throughout state and local government in Arizona.
[su_heading size=”24″]Online Collections[/su_heading]
The Arizona State Library has an associated Digital Arizona Library (DAZL) with collections including:
- Reference Resources
- State Government Archives
- Directories, including 1881 Arizona Business Directory, 1881 Tucson Directory, 1888 Phoenix Directory, 1898 Phoenix City Directory, 1900 Phoenix Directory, 1903 Prescott City Directory, 1909 Arizona Business Directory, 1912 Phoenix City and Salt River Valley Directory with Glendale, Mesa, Tempe City…
- Arizona Digital Newspapers
- Arizona Almanac
- Arizona Memory Project with online Arizona Oral Histories, yearbooks, postcards, Native America photos, Phoenix Jews News Photographs collection, and much more.
- Ancestry.com Arizona State Archives Collection
- Ten Basic Steps to Researching Your Family Tree
- Genealogy Information Portals
- Accessing Arizona Public Records
- Arizona Newspapers
- Arizona Biographical Database
[su_heading size=”24″]Onsite Collections[/su_heading]
Genealogical resources at the Arizona State Archives include but are not limited to:
- Assessment Rolls containing lists of taxable persons and their property.
- Brand Indexes and Books.
- Coroner or Justice Court records detail inquests held for violent or suspicious deaths
- Great Registers containing personal information required of those who registered to vote.
- Records from the Territorial Prison.
- Superior Court records including marriage licenses, wills, probate cases, and civil and criminal cases.
- Historic Arizona newspapers
- Arizona Collection with more than 75,000 items
- A Ready Reference collection of general books
- Online resources (for in-Library use):