Australia, Deaths and Burials, 1816-1980 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a searchable name index for death and burial records in Australia. This collection is not complete for any locality or time period in Australia.
Here is a coverage table provided by FamilySearch showing the number of records from various parts of Australia.
|Locality||Births and Baptisms, 1792-1981||Marriages, 1810-1980||Deaths and Burials, 1816-1980|
|New South Wales||277,191||59,393||12,170|
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from these Death and Burial Records?
These death records may include:
- Name of the person who died
- Age at Death
- Year of birth
- Date and Place of Burial
- You may need to select “View” to see the complete transcription
What Can I Do with Death Records Information?
If you find someone in this collection you can:
- Use the estimated birth age to find other records for this person or family members in birth, christening, marriage, death, or burial records in this area (people weren’t as mobile in the past)
- Look for land records in places where this person lived
- Look for this person or the head of household in city directories
- Look for military, tax, probate or other records for this person