Austria, Evangelical-Lutheran Church Records, 1848-1900 is a free collection at FamilySearch with browsable images of Austrian birth & baptism records, marriage records, and death records.
[su_heading size=”20″]How Do I Read the Records? [/su_heading]
The images are handwritten in German and FamilySearch provides the following German language helps.
- German Language and Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- Reading German Handwritten Records
Here is an example of an Austrian birth record free to view at FamilySearch. The image is handwritten in German and has English translation helps. FamilySearch provides similar translation helps for marriage and burial records.
These records include Evangelical baptismal, marriage, and death records and may contain:
Birth or Baptism
- Name of baptized child
- Date and place of birth
- Date of baptism and location
- Parents’ names, status, place of birth, religion
- Names of godparents
- Whether child was legitimate or illegitimate or stillborn
- Additional remarks
- Date and Place of Marriage
- Groom’s Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Groom’s Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Bride’s Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Bride’s Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Birthplaces of Bride and Groom
- Witnesses’ Names, Age and Occupation
Death and Burial
- Date and Place of Death and Burial
- Name and Age of Deceased
- Cause of Death
- Father of Deceased and his Occupation
- Date and Birthplace of Deceased
- Marital Status of Deceased
- If Married, the Name of the Spouse
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.