Brunswick County Genealogy Records

Brunswick County land records: maps, survey plats from 1902; deed books from 1732; deed of trust books exist

Brunswick County naturalization records: unknown

Brunswick County vital records: births from 1853; deaths from 1853; marriages from 1732

Brunswick County probate records: from 1732

Brunswick County census records: from 1810 (1790, 1800, and 1890 censuses lost)

Bentley, E. P. (1995). County Courthouse Book (2nd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publication Co., Inc., p. 366

Everton Pub. (2002). Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America (10th ed.). Draper, UT: Everton Pub, p. 711

Brunswick County Department Contact Information

Brunswick County History

Brunswick County was organized in 1732 with land from Prince George, Isle of Wight, and Surry Counties.

“The first recorded foray by the colonists into what is now Brunswick County occurred in 1650. Explorers left Fort Henry (Petersburg) to follow the Occoneeche trail on an expedition for trading with the Indians to the south. By 1714 the area was known well enough that it was selected by Governor Alexander Spotswood as the site of Fort Christanna, a trading depot and school for Indian children. …In 1720 the General Assembly passed an act for “erecting the Counties of Spotsylvania and Brunswick” which directed “That five hundred pounds…be paid by the Treasurer to Nathaniel Harrison, esq., Jonathan Allen, Henry Harrison, and William Edwards, gentlemen… for a church, courthouse, prison, pillory and stocks, where they shall think fit.” The first courthouse was constructed circa 1732 on a site near Cochran. Moved to the east in 1746, the county seat was moved again in 1783 to be established at the present site. A wood frame courthouse, described by a visitor in 1835 as “a very handsome building” was built in 1784 on the site now occupied by the Brunswick County Museum.”

“The Town was created officially by an act of the General Assembly on 22 January 1814. The act directed that twenty acres of land belonging to Peggy Williams be laid off into lots and be known as Lawrenceville. Legend has it that the name was inspired by a famous racehorse, Lawrence, owned by a prosperous landowner who had built a nearby race track at the end of the eighteenth century.”

“About Brunswick County.” Brunswick County Virginia. Accessed February 27, 2017. http://www.brunswickco.com/about.asp.

Comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.