California, San Francisco Passenger Lists, 1893-1953 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a text-searchable index and browsable images of San Francisco Passenger Lists.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Passenger Lists?
These records include:
- Name of ship
- Port of embarkation
- Date and seaport of entry
- Final destination
- Whether or not ticket to final destination
- Name of passenger
- Birth place
- Age in years and months
- Civil status
- Whether or not can read and write
- Last permanent residence
- Who paid for passage
- Declaration of money in possession
- Whether or not has been in U. S. before
- Whether or not passenger has been in prison
- Whether or not passenger is a polygamist
- Name and address of relative or friend passenger plans to join
- Whether or not under contract to labor
- General condition and statement of health
- Description of passenger
How Can Passenger Lists Help Me Find Other Records?
- Use the record to learn the place of origin and find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land and probate records
- Use the record to locate the family in census records