Cheshire Family History Society has some online resources and onsite records to help people research their family history in Cheshire. They have multiple groups within the county of Cheshire any member can affiliate with. Some online collections are for members only. Anyone can become a member of the Cheshire Family History Society for a fee.
Each Group link has information about the group and possible links to news, events, images, and documents or recrods.
- Alsager – Meetings are on the third Monday in the month at Wesley Place Methodist Church, Lawton Road, ST7 2AF starting at 7.30 pm.
- Bebington – Meets on the fourth Monday in the month in Bebington Civic Centre, Civic Way, Bebington, CH63 7PN starting at 7.30 pm.
- Bramhall – Meets on the second Thursday in the month excluding July in the United Reformed Church Hall, Robins Lane, Bramhall, SK7 2PE at 7.30 pm.
- Chester – Meets on the last Thursday in the month at Church Hall, All Saints Church, 2 Vicarage Road, Hoole, Chester, CH2 3HZ at 7.30 pm. No meetings Aug and Dec
- Congelton – Meets on the third Tuesday in the month at Congleton Library, Market Street, CW12 1ET at 7.30 pm. July outdoor meeting No meeting Aug and Dec
- Crewe – Meets on the second Tuesday in the month at Wishing Well, Jubilee House, St. Paul’s Street, Crewe, CW1 2QA. Alternative parking The Victoria Centre car park, Newdigate Street CW1 2PT. No meetings in August and December, starts at 7pm
- Macclesfield – Meets on the fourth Tuesday in the month (except July and December) at The Salvation Army Church, Roe Street, Macclesfield SK11 6XD at 7.30 pm. Entrance on Wellington Street, opposite Churchill Way Car Park.
- Nantwich – Meets on the third Tuesday in the month at Nantwich Methodist Church Centre, Hospital Street, Nantwich, CW5 5RP, at 7.30pm. Parking in The Gullet or Morrisons’ car park.
- Northwich – Meets on the second Monday in each month at the Methodist Church Hall, Beach Road, Hartford, CW8 3AD at 7.30 pm.
- Runcorn – Meets on the first Wednesday in each month, except January at Churchill Hall, Cooper Street, Runcorn, WA7 1DH at 7.30 pm. SALE On the second Wednesday in the month at Trinity Methodist Church, Northenden Road, Sale, M33 3ED at 7.30 pm.
- Sale – Meets the second Wednesday of the month, starting at 7:30pm at the Trinity Methodist Church, Trinity Road, Sale M33 3ED.
- Tameside – Meets on the second Wednesday in the month except February and August at Old Chapel Schoolrooms, Old Road, Dukinfield, SK16 4EN starting at 7.00 pm.
- Tarporley – Meets on the first Wednesday of the month at Little Budworth Village Hall, Booth Ave, off Vicarage Lane, CW6 9BP at 7.30 pm.
- Wallasey – Meets on the third Tuesday in each month, except for December, Claremont Methodist Church Comm Ctr Sandy Lane, Wallasey, CH45 6UA at 7.30pm. The Wallasey group covers the following areas:
- New Brighton
- Saughall Massie
- Upper Brighton
- Wallasey Village
- Computer Club – Meets on the second Wednesday in each month at the Methodist Church Hall, 74 Beach Road, Hartford CW8 3AD starting at 7.30 pm. The meetings are open to ALL members of the Society.
They have a SEARCH site that searches any online blogs, collections, etc on the site. This includes some record indexes, wills, parish records, etc.
- UK Individual Members with printed Cheshire Ancestor – £18.00
- UK Individual Members with electronic Cheshire Ancestor – £13.00
- UK Family Members with printed Cheshire Ancestor – £20.00
- UK Family Membership with electronic Cheshire Ancestor – £15.00
- EU & Overseas Members electronic Cheshire Ancestor only – £13.00
The Society year commences on 1st July. Membership commences on day of receipt of application. Members joining between 1st July and the following 31st March inclusive, will receive all the 4 journals of that financial year. Members joining between 1st April and 30th June will have their membership extended until 30th June the following year.
The Society offers a wide range of services and facilities to members including :
- Four copies a year of our ‘Award Winning’ magazine the CHESHIRE ANCESTOR packed full of articles, Society notices, news of forthcoming events and reports from our groups, including Net That Serf, a section covering the use of computers in family history generally and Cheshire in particular.
- There are fifteen Groups of the Society, each of which arranges its own programme of meetings and activities. Members can affiliate themselves to any one group of their choice but are entitled to attend the meetings of any other group in the county.
- The Computer Club offers help to members with all levels of experience in family history and computing.
- Our Research Centre and main Library is based at Mobberley and a research unit at Crewe Municipal Building with help available from our Volunteers. Both are open to all members of the Society. Between them, they house several thousand books, magazines and exchange journals from other family history societies, also many films of Cheshire Parish Registers and Bishop’s Transcripts and numerous CD’s. There is FREE access to Ancestry, FindMyPast, and the Genealogist.