The Departmental Archives of Aube (FR: Archives départementales des Aube) is the official archive for Department 10 in France.
France divides the country into numbered administrative regions, called departments. Department 10 is named after the Aube River. This site is free to search.
Birth, Marriage, and Death Records
- Church records and Civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths, 1555-1915, search by commune/town or parish, year range, and/or record type
- Decennial Tables, 1792-1892, varies by commune, 10-year lists/indexes of all births, marriages, and deaths in alphabetical order by surname
- Tables of Estates and Absences,1824-1946, list of deceased persons and their spouses and heirs
- Censuses, 1820-1931, “The first nominative lists date from 1836. They are drawn up by a municipality and according to a topographical order (by street, house, hamlet, and farm), with an indication of the names, first names, ages (the date of birth will be indicated only from 1906) and the professions of all individuals living in the same household. …Censuses take place every 5 years; because of the war, the 1871 census was held in 1872 and there was no census in 1916 or 1941. The 1891 census is missing.”
- Name index to the Censuses of Aube, created by contributions of Internet users
- Mortgage Records
Daily Life Records
- Genealogies & Compiled Histories, “Chandon file -a collection of nearly 30,000 archival documents related to the history of Champagne and Champagne families collected by Count Chandon de Briailles and donated in 2004 to the Departmental Archives. …This genealogical file, drawn up by Count Chandon de Briailles, lists nearly 8000 surnames.”
- Military registers, 1872-1921, Looking for the military registration for an ancestor? Add 20 years to the year of birth and you will have the appropriate class year. You can either search by class number and page through until you find the person you need or you can use the class number and search the alphabetical table for that class year to find the person’s conscript number/registration number, then go to the military class register for that year and page through till you find that conscript number/registration number (in sequential order).
Instructions provided by the archive:”Before consulting the military registers, it is necessary to locate the conscript number of the person sought in the alphabetical tables.
Then it is necessary:
to find the corresponding register number in this inventory
or perform a search on the registers number page on the conscription year, and select in the results table the volume corresponding to the registration number.
Complementary help: See a sample search
The Departmental Archives of Aube is part of the Grand Est Region of France.
- Department 08 – The Departmental Archives of Ardennes
- Department 10 – The Departmental Archives of Aube
- Department 67 – Department Bas-Rhin
- Department 51 – Department Marne
- Department 52 – Department Haute-Marne
- Department 68 – Department Haut-Rhin
- Department 54 – Department Meurthe-et-Moselle
- Department 55 – Department Meuse
- Department 57 – Department Moselle
- Department 88 – Department Vosges
Tuesday: 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm