The Devon Family History Society in Exeter, Devon, England has many online resources available to members and has membership options for anyone interested in joining their society and using their collections.
Devon FHS has an Acorn Club to encourage children to become involved in Family History and a Devon DNA page for anyone interested in joining the Devon DNA project. They also provide free Pedigree Charts and Genealogical Relationship Charts.
The Devon FHS has multiple databases for members only, but anyone can Search by Surname for FREE to see how many instances your surname occurs in these databases.
- Indexes – All the Indexes that are available on FindMyPast
- 1754-1837 Marriage Index Index free to members
- 1861 Census Index free to members
- Historian Index free to members
- Strays Index free to members
- Strays (Jersey Hospital) Index free to members
- Tree House Holdings – The list of Tree House holdings
- Tree House Name Slips Index free to members
- Methodist Obituaries Index free to members
- Plymouth Data Web Site Slips Index free to members
- Monumental Inscriptions Index free to members
- Devon Coastguards Index free to members
- Plymouth Herald Index free to members
- Baptisms pre-1813 Index free to members
- Marriages pre-1754 Index free to members
- Burials pre-1813 Index free to members
- Lamerton Cemetery Burials 1881-2011 Index free to members
- Cullompton Cemetery 1856-2013 Index free to members
- Weston Mill Cemetery Registers 1904-1998 Index free to members
- Efford Cemetery Registers 1907-1999 Index free to members
- All microfiched Parish Registers for the County
- Inland Revenue Wills 1812-1857
- Our complete range of indexes (above)
- Extensive library: Devon people, places & family histories
- Parish files with a miscellany of contents
- Family Trees, Certificates, Wills, Maps and deposited family history research
- Extensive Methodist Records
- Large collection of microfiche and CDs
- FindMyPast, Ancestry, The Genealogist and other online resources
- GRO indexes on fiche and searchable online
- Consular returns, Marine births and deaths, Regimental returns
- Census on fiche and online
- Volunteers available to guide you in using our resources
- Telephone advice on 01392 433212, Mon., Tues., & Thurs. 10.30a.m. – 4.00p.m.
- Check out our searchable list of Tree House holdings.
Just enter a keyword (e.g. an author, place name or family name)
If you’ve DNA tested for genealogical purposes, here is information on how to join Devon DNA projects.
The Devon DNA project is a Y-DNA and mtDNA geographical project for everyone with patrilineal or matrilineal ancestry from the English county of Devon. Participants can order either a Y-DNA (Y-chromosome) test to find out about their patriline (your father, your father’s father, your father’s father’s father, etc) or a mitochondrial DNA test to learn about their matriline (your mother, your mother’s mother, your mother’s mother’s mother, etc). The only requirement for joining the project is that participants must have a documented paper trail to Devon on the patriline for the Y-DNA test or on the matriline line for the mtDNA test. The project also welcomes participants who have taken the Family Finder autosomal DNA test. To qualify for the project with a Family Finder test you must have documented Devon ancestry on at least one branch of your family tree within the last five generations.
If you’re interested in testing for genealogical purposes, here is information on genetic testing and genealogy.
UK Membership – £16 (Four Devon Family Historians sent by post)
Overseas Membership – £22 (Four Devon Family Historians sent by Airmail)
E-Membership – £10 (Four Devon Family Historians downloaded from the Society’s Members’ Area [not available in the EU] )
Life Membership – apply to Membership Secretary: [email protected]
Postal and Online membership forms
Add all your own Member’s Interests online and search the names that Devon FHS members have posted.
Free – ALL Devon marriages 1754-1837
Free – Selected Historian articles
Free – Research Guides and Booklets
Free – Devon Monumental Inscriptions and Photos.
Free – Devon Documents
Free – Devon Strays
Free – Devon Coastguards
Free – Devon Parish Maps to print
Free – Methodist Ministers’ Obituaries
Free – Miscellaneous Data Sets
Discounts and Special Offers
Material continuously added
Parish Register images available to Members, from the earliest registers available to 1915:
Abbotskerswell, Arlington, Aveton Gifford, Axminster, Bigbury, Bow, Bratton Fleming, Challacombe, Chardstock, Clannaborough, Clayhidon, Coffinswell, Coleridge, Combpyne, Cullompton, Culmstock, Exeter St. Matthew, Exeter St. Sidwell, Hawkchurch, Hemyock, Holsworthy, Ilsington, Kennerleigh, Kentisbury, Kingskerswell, Kingston, Lapford, Loddiswell, Loxhore, Malborough, Mary Tavy, Milton Damarel, Modbury, Morchard Bishop, Nymet Rowland, Peter Tavy, Plymtree, Ringmore, Salcombe, Shirwell, South Huish, Stockleigh English, Stockleigh Pomeroy, Stoke Rivers, Torquay Torwood Holy Trinity, Torquay St. Marks, Torquay St. Matthias, Washford Pyne, Withycombe Raleigh, Woodleigh, Woolfardisworthy East, Zeal Monachorum.
Here is a Parish Finder on the Devon FHS site & members can print PDFs of any parish in Devon.
This page links to every Devon Parish and the Baptism, Marriage, and Burial books published by Devon FHS.
- The map icon will show a location map for a parish, in a new window
- The parish name will take you to an informative entry on GENUKI
- The deanery name will show you the parishes in that deanery
- The CD icon will take you to the CD section of our shop
- The book icon indicates that images of registers for this parish are available in the Members’ Area