England and Wales Census, 1911 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a searchable name index for the 1911 England and Wales Census. The records link to images at a subscription site, FindMyPast.com. You can view the images for free at any local Family History Center.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from these Census Records?
The 1911 England and Wales Census may include:
- Name of each member of the household
- Birth year (estimated)
- Marital Status
- Relationship to the head of the household
What Can I Do with Census Records?
If you find someone in the census you can:
- Record every member of the family or household
- Record all information from the census for each member of the household
- If you can find an image of the census, look for information on the image that was not transcribed & recorded in the index
- Try to find this person in each census they may have been recorded in and record all the information given for each census, by census year (there will probably be some conflicting information)
- Use the estimated birth age to find other records for this person or family members in birth, christening, marriage, death, or burial records in the areas where they were living when the census was taken
- Look for land records in places where this person lived
- Look for this person or the head of household in city directories
- Look for military, tax, probate or other records for this person