England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a searchable name index for death and burial records in England. There are more than 15 million records in this collection but the collection is not complete for any locality or time period in England.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from these Death and Burial Records?
These UK death records may include:
- Name of the person who died
- Marital Status
- Date and Place of Burial
- Date of birth
- Names of other relatives such as a spouse, parents, etc
What Can I Do with Death Records Information?
If you find someone in this collection you can:
- Use the estimated birth age to find other records for this person or family members in birth, christening, marriage, death, or burial records in this area (people weren’t as mobile in the past)
- Use the marital status and the name of a spouse, if given, to search for marriage records
- Try to find the original death or burial record image (at LDS Family History Centers you can use FindMyPast for free to view parish burial records for the UK)
- Use the burial record information (probably from the original image) to learn the person’s religion & search for more records kept by that religious body
- Look for land records in places where this person lived
- Look for this person or the head of household in city directories
- Look for military, tax, probate or other records for this person