Fluvanna County Court Records Available (not online):

Fluvanna County land records: from 1777

Fluvanna County vital records: births 1853-1896; deaths 1853-1896; marriages from 1777

Fluvanna County probate records: from 1777

Bentley, E. P. (1995). County Courthouse Book (2nd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publication Co., Inc., p. 368

 

Fluvanna County History

Fluvanna County was established in 1777 with land from Albemarle County.

“The area which is now Fluvanna County was once part of Henrico County, one of the original shires of the Virginia Colony. Henrico was divided in 1727 and the Fluvanna County area became a part of Goochland County. In 1744 Goochland was divided and the area presently known as Fluvanna became a part of Albemarle County. Finally, in 1777, Albemarle County was divided and Fluvanna County established. The County was named for the Fluvanna River, the name given to James River west of Columbia. Fluvanna means “Annie’s River” in honor of Queen Anne of England.”

“From an initial 882 “tithables,” the population reached 3,300 by 1782. Columbia was formed in 1788 with Bernardsburg and Wilmington following soon after. Lyles Baptist Church was organized in 1774 and the formation of the Methodist denomination had its roots in a Conference held in Fluvanna in 1779. The “Brick Union” Church was built in 1825 for the use of Episcopalians, Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians. The village of Fork Union grew up around the Church.”

“When Palmyra was made the county seat in 1828 it quickly became a thriving town after the new courthouse was completed in 1830. While Palmyra has changed and modernized over the years, it still possesses an aura of tranquility.”

F. (n.d.). Fluvanna County History. Retrieved February 27, 2017, from http://fluvannacounty.org/about-fluvanna/history

Comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.