France, Seine-Saint-Denis, Census, 1856 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a searchable name index with some images for the 1856 census records from the Departmental Archives of Seine-Saint-Denis. (Department 93)
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
Some indexed records have images attached. If you need language help translating the images, here are French language helps provided by FamilySearch.
- France Language and Languages
- French Genealogical Word List
- French Handwriting
- Script Tutorial for French
- Reading French Handwritten Records
What Can I Learn from these French Census Records?
These records may include:
- Name of person
- Age & Estimated birth year
- Marital Status
- Relationship to the Head of the household
- Event Date and Place
What Can I Do with French Census Records?
If you find someone in these French census records you can:
- Search the collection for every family member, be sure to select the option to see the image and transcription
- Record all information for each member of the family
- Use the age or approximate birth year to search the appropriate class year (birth year + 20) for District military records where a person lived (these will give the date and place of officers in the army and may have the name of the father and his occupation; these records may also confirm or provide marriage and death information).
- Visit the Departmental Archives of Seine-Saint-Denis ( Department 93) website for other online records.