The Genealogical Society of Vermont is an organization dedicated to helping people research their Vermont ancestry and family history.
- Subscription to our journal, “Vermont Genealogy”, which includes compiled genealogies, transcribed source records, book reviews and queries.
- Table of Contents for recent issues
- Subscription to our quarterly GSV Newsletter, which features information about meetings, news notes of regional interest, and announcements of GSV publications.
- Newsletters 1994 – current
- Free queries published in “Vermont Genealogy” and on the web-site.
- Access to “Members-only” section of the web-site with additional Vermont Content.
- Semi-annual meetings in various locations throughout Vermont featuring speakers with expertise in genealogy and Vermont genealogy in particular.
- Discounted subscription to Federation of Genealogical Societies’ newsletter Forum.
- $25 dollars per year for U.S. Addresses
- $35 US Funds to addresses in Canada and Mexico
- $50 US Funds for all other addresses
- (Non-US dues have been increased to reflect higher postage costs.)
Branches and Twigs–downloadable newsletters
Note: Some of these Branches and Twigs files are quite large and take a while to open. Since these image files are not searchable, it is recommended that researchers first consult the index to each volume and then look up information within the appropriate page.
|Vol 1, 1972 – Index||pages 1-3||pages 4-14||pages 15-31||pages 34-63|
|Vol 2, 1973 – Index||pages 1-22||pages 23-51||pages 52-79||pages 80-99|
|Vol 3, 1974 – Index||pages 1-40||pages 41-76||pages 77-110||pages 111-146|
Members only – Onsite and Online Collections
Here is a sample of the information available to GSV Members. (GSV Members Login)
These files are in PDF format. If you do not have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software, you can download it from http://www.adobe.com.
Marriages in Montpelier, Burlington, and Berlin, VT 1789-1876. These marriages are listed in Vermont Marriages, Vol 1 (Boston: Research Publication Co., 1903), but that publication lists marriages in chronological order and is unindexed. The information here is arranged alphabetically (both bride and groom).
Index to VT Historical Newspapers by Locality. The Vermont Department of Libraries and the University of Vermont published A Union List of Vermont Newspapers in Oct 2000. This publication provides an alphabetical list of all known Vermont newspapers, with dates of publishing (where known), along with repositories and their holdings, whether on microfilm or in print version. This index lists all newspapers in A Union List of Vermont Newspapers by locality, along with the dates of publication, where known.
Genealogies of the Early Settlers of Weston, VT, 2d edition. Generously provided by the Weston Historical Society. Between 1916 and 1974, Raymond A. Taylor compiled the genealogies of seventy-five Weston families. The Weston Historical Society, in celebration of Weston’s 200th Anniversary, has transcribed Taylor’s original work and supplemented it with birth, marriage and death data as recorded in the Town Hall for the first 100 years (1800-1900). The project has been expanded to include the ancestors of Weston’s original residents as well as descending family groupings in so far as they are still connected to the village.
Marriages and Baptisms performed by Richard Bedford, Jr. a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the mid 1800s. These records are of baptisms 1836-1847, and marriages 1837-1849. Localities include Vermont counties of Orange, Windsor, Caledonia, Orleans, and Washington.
Vermont Name Changes and Adoptions, 1869 From “Acts and Resolves of the General Assembly of Vermont, 1869”