Indiana, Gary and East Chicago Crew Lists, 1945-1956 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a name index and images of crew lists from vessels arriving at East Chicago, Indiana, from April 12, 1945 to November 25, 1956 and at Gary, Indiana, on May 1, 1955, and on August 25, 1955.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Crew List Records?
These records may include:
- Name of the vessel
- Ports and dates of departure and arrival
- Full name of crew member
- Position in ship’s company
How Can Crew List Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Use the information found in the record to find other records such as emigrations, port records, and ship’s manifests
- Use the record to learn the place of origin and find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the record to see if other family members who may have immigrated with the person you are looking for are listed and have additional information or leads; you may also find additional information on new family members in censuses