Iowa, Church and Civil Marriages, 1837-1989 is a free collection at FamilySearch with an index to selected marriage records in Iowa.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Marriage Records?
These marriage records may include:
- Name of the groom
- Name of the bride, often including the maiden name
- Name of the officiator
- Names of the parents or guardians of the bride and groom
- Date of the marriage
- Place of marriage
- Birthplaces of the bride and groom
- Residences of the bride and groom
How Can Marriage Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Witnesses to marriages were often family members