Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a name index to death and burial records from Iowa. A few records may be earlier or later than this date range.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Death Records?
These death records may include:
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Estimated date of birth and place
- Marital status
- Parents’ names
- Parents’ birth places
How Can Death Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Search for the death record
- Use the age or estimated birth date to determine an approximate birth date to find other vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Search for an obituary or cemetery record