La Société Guernesiaise was founded in 1882 to encourage the study of the history, natural history, geography and geology of the Bailiwick of Guernsey. The Family History Section has been established since April 1987 and has a current membership of about 250 worldwide.
- Parish Church Registers: Guernsey has ten parishes. The Section has been involved in indexing the Parish Church registers of births, marriages and deaths. These are now complete.
- Guernsey Censuses: Members have compiled indexes to the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses for all parishes.
- Memorial Inscriptions: The transcription of Memorial Inscriptions within various cemeteries and churchyards, by a very small group of members over the past few years, has produced an immense amount of research material. Extracts can be made available, for a small charge, on application.
- Churchyards: the churchyards where MIs have already been fully transcribed are St Pierre du Bois, Castel, St Matthew’s in the Castel parish, and St John’s in the parish of St Peter Port. Transcription of the MIs at the Vale Church is a work in progress.
- Cemeteries: The St Peter Port Parish Cemeteries whose MIs have been transcribed are Candie, Plymouth Brethren and the Foulon.
- Obituaries: We hold a collection of Guernsey Magazine Obituaries from 1872 to 1889, which can be very informative, especially if the death took place overseas (Card Index).
Members have extracted Guernsey Evening Press Newspaper notices of Birth, Marriage and Death entries from 1994 (Card Index).
- Town Hospital (Poor House / Poor Law): Indexes are available of the St Peter Port, former Town Hospital records 1743 to 1856, and to the St Peter Port Poor Law records 1811 to 1904. For more information go to St Peter Port Town Hospital Journals.
- Family Files and Trees: We have a steadily growing collection of Family Files and Trees compiled and very kindly donated by members and correspondents. We also can now accept GEDCOM files and already have had some research donated in this format which is available on the computer.
- Exchange Journals: We exchange journals with several other Family History Societies in Jersey, the U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the U.S.A. and we also have a collection of interesting Family History Books.
Costs of membership:
- Individual Membership – £8
They have a few publications for sale on their website.