The Lithuanian State Historical Archives | Lietuvos valstybinis istorijos archyvas is the National Archive of Lithuania and it has some free, online genealogy collections as well as onsite family history collections.
About the Collections:
“The Lithuanian State Historical Archive (hereinafter – LVIA) is the largest and most important archive of archival documents for the history of Lithuania since the 13th century. …LVIA originates from 1852 when the central archives of the Old Acts were founded in Vilnius. The archive has gone a long way in history. Several governments have survived several wars, his name changed many times.” Read more
The Lithuanian State Historical Archives has thousands of digitized church records, hosted at the National Library site, ePaveldas.lt.
You can see all online collections from the Lithuanian State Historical Archives by searching at ePaveldas.lt and filtering results by this archive.
- Here’s a link to the search results Roman Catholic church register books of various parishes
from the 15th c. until the first half of the 20th c.
- And here is a link to a downloadable PDF of digitized records. Use the hint below to translate the list, then paste the translation into the red search window at ePaveldas.lt.
The State Historical Archives of Lithuania include collections from the 18th-20th centuries. The primary genealogical sources are:
- The birth, marriage, divorce, and death metrics books/records of various religious denominations,
- Pre-polling books,
- Parish Lists
- Acts of Nobility approved
- List of families of noble families,
- Manor inventory
- Revision Lists
“Documents that are not restricted by law are accessible to archival documents in original and microfilm reading rooms. The archives’ intranet publishes and copies of 19236 files of funds of various churches and noble institutions found in the Archive’s reading room.”
Monday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 3:45 pm
Exceptions and Extended Hours