The National Archives of Hungary Bács-Kiskun County Archives is the official archive for Bács-Kiskun County in Hungary.
MNL Bács-Kiskun County Archives Library is a smaller, related library with important onsite collections. The collections include books, periodical publications, maps, microfilms, manuscripts, CDs, DVDs, videotapes. The library has more than 20,000 volumes in Kecskemét. They also have important, frequently requested school records and census records.
NAHDatabasesOnline has collections from Bács-Kiskun county:
- Katonaállítás – Soldier Registries, Military Registration Registers 1756-1918 (1942) Personal Records for the Establishment or Supplementation of the Permanent Army.
In addition to the basic data (father, mother’s name, marital status, year of birth, residence), you can also find information about health status, physical appearance, or education.
“There are several types of document. There is a list of missing soldiers, there are also lists of documents and release requests between documents. The language of the documents is Latin, German, Hungarian depending on the age, depending on the location. The material from the 20th century was already completed by filling out forms, but filling the boxes was handwritten.” Military registers currently cover the following areas:
Dunapataj község = Dunapatag village
Kecskemét város = Kecskemét City
Kiskunfélegyháza körzet = Kiskunfélegyháza district
Kiskunfélegyháza város = Kiskunfélegyháza city
Kiskunhalas város = Town of Kiskunhalas
Nagykőrös város = Town of Nagykőrös
Where to find online Hungary Birth, Marriage, and Death records for Bács-Kiskun County?
The archive has a table of microfilms of state registers of Bács-Kiskun county. The digitized birth, marriage, and death records from these microfilms are in the online collection, Hungary Civil Registrations, 1895-1980. Also, check the Katonaállítás | Soldier registries listed above at the NAHDatabaseOnline for birth dates and parents’ names of soldiers.
- Cadastral Maps of Bács-Kiskun county, Hungary (geo-referenced)
- The Germans in Hungary archival sources History 1670-1950 “The book contains the most important data of the municipal archives, a short description of the institutions, and the Fonds description of textures that are found in the municipal archives in Hungary today for the Germans in Hungary. The book was edited by Elizabeth Small and Tóth Ágnes.”
- The Archive recommends these sites for Hungarian Military Service background: Military Place and Servants of Old Bakers and Heroes of the Great War
- If you prefer the look and feel of the Old Portal for digitized records, here’s a link to Bács-Kiskun County Archives online at the Old Portal.