New York, New York, Index to Passenger Lists, 1820-1846 is a searchable name index at FamilySearch for passengers arriving at New York City, New York between 1820 and 1846. There are also browsable images in this collection.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from these Passenger Lists?
Passenger list records vary by year but may include:
- Name of Immigrant
- Who accompanied the immigrant
- Age, Gender, Race, and Marital Status of Immigrant
- Birthplace of Immigrant
- Occupation and Nationality of Immigrant
- Last residence of Immigrant
- Name of vessel
- Date of arrival
- Port of entry
- Port of departure
What Do I Do Next?
With information provided in the passenger list you can:
- Identify your ancestor on the passenger list
- Identify any family members on passenger lists
- Extract a passenger’s full name and any variants of their name
- Look for records at the port of origin, including emigration and vital records
- Look for ship’s manifests records
- Look for other port records
- Look for naturalization records for individuals you find