New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a name index and browsable images of passengers who arrived at Ellis Island (not just immigrants), between 1892 and 1924. This site includes links to images of arrival lists at the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island website.
This collection includes a name index of 25 million people. There are also more than 3 million browsable images. The names link to images of arrival lists at the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island website.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
Passenger list records vary by year but may include:
What Can I Learn from these Passenger Lists?
- Name of Immigrant
- Who accompanied the immigrant
- Age and Gender and Race of Immigrant
- Birthplace of Immigrant
- Occupation and Nationality of Immigrant
- Last residence of Immigrant
- Name of vessel
- Date of arrival
- Port of entry
- Port of departure
What Do I Do Next?
With information provided in the passenger list you can:
- Identify your ancestor on the passenger list
- Identify any family members on passenger lists
- Extract a passenger’s full name and any variants of their name
- Look for records at the port of origin, including emigration and vital records
- Look for ship’s manifests records
- Look for other port records
- Look for naturalization records for individuals you find