New York, Southern District Index to Petitions for Naturalization, 1824-1941 is a free collection at FamilySearch with an index and images of naturalization petitions in NY.
The Southern District had jurisdiction over the following counties:
New York (Manhattan)
This naturalization index can be searched by First Name, Last Name, Life Event (birth, marriage, residence, death), or Relationship. This index links to images.
The New York, Southern District, Naturalization Index, 1824-1941 is a collection of more than 400,000 petitions for naturalization that went through the Circuit Courts in New York’s Southern District in New York City, New York.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
- Petition number
- Date of petition
- Volume and page number of the petition
Some of the index cards also show:
- Declaration number
- Date of declaration
- Volume and page number of the declaration
- Certification number
- Date of issuance
Declaration of Intent and Naturalization Petitions usually included the following:
- Full name of the immigrant
- Current residence
- Country of birth
- Arrival date and port of entry
- Date of Declaration of Intent or Naturalization
- Date and court of naturalization
- Names of witnesses
- Signature of judge or court official
In post-1906 records, you may also find:
- Birth date and place of immigrant
- Age, race, marital status and occupation
- Last foreign residence
- Name of spouse
- Maiden name of wife
- Birth date of spouse
- Residence of spouse