The New York, Western District, Naturalization Index, 1907-1966 is a free collection at FamilySearch with an index that links to images of naturalization records in New York.
The Western District had jurisdiction over the following counties:
This naturalization index can be searched by First Name, Last Name, Naturalization Place, and Naturalization Year range.
The New York, Western District, Naturalization Index, 1907-1966 is a collection of 48,000 petitions for naturalization that went through the District Courts in New York’s Western District in Buffalo, New York and Rochester, New York. This index is provided by Fold3.com.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
The index cards include the following:
- Petition number
- Date of petition
- Volume and page number of the petition
Some of the index cards also show:
- Declaration number
- Date of declaration
- Volume and page number of the declaration
- Certification number
- Date of issuance
Declaration of Intent and Naturalization Petitions usually included the following:
- Full name of the immigrant
- Current residence
- Country of birth
- Arrival date and port of entry
- Date of Declaration of Intent or Naturalization
- Date and court of naturalization
- Names of witnesses
- Signature of judge or court official
In post-1906 records, you may also find:
- Birth date and place of immigrant
- Age, race, marital status and occupation
- Last foreign residence
- Name of spouse
- Maiden name of wife
- Birth date of spouse
- Residence of spouse