New York, Yates County, Swann Vital Records Collection, 1723-2009 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a searchable name index and browsable images of birth, marriage, and death information (vital records) for early settlers of New York and their descendants.
Frank L. Swann (1894-1987), was the Yates County Historian from 1956 to 1980 and his collection came from newspaper obituaries and marriage announcements, bible records, family registers, marriage certificates, and clergymen marriage records.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
The Swann Vital Records Collection for Yates County, New York may include:
What Can I Learn from this Vital Records Collection
- Child’s full name
- Child’s date of birth
- Date and place of baptism
- Child’s gender
- Father’s name
- Mother’s name
- Groom’s full name
- Bride’s full name
- Date and place of marriage
- Bride or Groom’s Titles (Mr., Mrs, Dr., etc)
- Name of the deceased
- Date and place of death
- Age of the deceased
- Date and place of burial
With birth, marriage, and death information you can:
How Can Vital Records Help Me Find Other Records?
- Look for an individual in the state or federal census and put an entire family together
- Search for other church or civil registration records for this individual or family
- Use names and residences to search for an individual or other family members in a local city directory
- learn about the employment from a city directory search, and extract any other information (marital status, etc)
- Use names and residences to search for land records
- Use names and residences to search for any tax or court records
- Use names and ages to estimate draft registration date and find draft registration records or military service records