North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 is a free collection at FamilySearch with Confederate Soldier service records including:
- Muster rolls
- Appointment books
- Hospital registers
- Union prison registers and rolls
- Parole rolls
- Inspection reports For each military unit the service records are arranged alphabetically by the soldier’s surname
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Civil War Service Records?
These records may include:
- Soldier’s full name
- Rank, company and unit in which served
- Year(s) of service
- Age (sometimes estimated)
- Date and place of enlistment
- By whom enlisted
- Type of records in file
- NARA publication number, title, and roll number
How Can Civil War Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With North Carolina Civil War Service records information you may be able to:
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date
- Use the age and location of the military unit to find the soldier’s family in census, church, and land records
- Use the information found to search additional state and county records