This is a list of online Alleghany County Histories for Alleghany County, Virginia.
Online Alleghany County Histories and related historical material include:
- Alleghany County Centennial, 1859-1959, have to log in and borrow
- Virginia Historical Magazine, “Pioneer Days in Alleghany County”, Volume 10, by W.A. McAllister, 1902
- Alleghany County Virginia, Its Resources and Industries, 1907
- Virginia Historical Magazine, “Pioneer Days in Alleghany County” (Concluded), Volume 10, by W.A. McAllister, 1902
- Journal of Colonel George Washington, commanding a detachment of Virginia troops, sent by Robert Dinwiddie, Lieutenant-Governor of Virginia, across the Alleghany Mountains, in 1754, to build forts at the head of the Ohio …, by George Washington, 1893
- A brief history of the military career of Carpenter’s battery, from its organization as a rifle company under the name of Alleghany Roughs to the ending of the war between the states, by Clarence A. Fonerden, 1911
- and see Online Virginia Histories, Biographies, and Related Records for histories of Virginia that include Alleghany County
Alleghany County, Virginia “took its name from the mountain range in which it is located. It was formed by act of Virginia Legislature on January 5, 1822 from parts of Botetourt, Bath, and Monroe counties. At that time Monroe was a Virginia county and remained so until the formation of West Virginia in May 1862 during the war between the states.”
“Before the formation of Alleghany County, property records and court services for the area were provided from Fincastle, the county seat of Botetourt County. As this involved a two day trip for recordation of deeds or any court business, the formation of the Town of Covington a few years earlier made it desirable and perhaps necessary to provide a nearby location for these services. By further Act of the General Assembly, passed February 15, 1822, the County of Alleghany was attached to the Chancery District Court centered at Lewisburg.”*
Neighboring counties currently include Bath, Rockbridge, Botetourt and Craig Counties in Virginia and Monroe and Greenbrier Counties in West Virginia.
* “Alleghany County… a concise history.” County of Alleghany, Virginia. Accessed February 23, 2017. http://www.co.alleghany.va.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Alleghany-County-Virginia-July-2016-brochure.pdf