Ontario Ancestors is the new name of The Ontario Genealogical Society (OGS). Ontario Ancestors was founded in 1961 and is the largest family history association in Ontario, Canada. They have a robust website with helpful resources for members and non-members alike.
Free and fee Canadian genealogy resources include:
- Ontario Ancestors digitized books hosted at FamilySearch
- Ontario Ancestors Libraries (book collections include over 3,000 donated family histories)
- Cemeteries & Name Indexes (now part of TONI-see below)
- Unregistered Cemeteries (a list of unregistered cemeteries by County/District)
- How to Research Your Family History (tips for researchers)
- Unidentified Photographs
- The Ontario Name Index (TONI) (Shows where information about a name can be found-over 3,125,927 records!)
- OGS Provincial Index (OGSPI)
- Ontario Records and Resources (Links to other sources for Canadian family history research records)
- Ontario Locator (GPS and County/Branch for every municipality in Ontario)
Ontario Ancestors hosts an annual genealogy conference and has a quarterly publication, Families.
2 responses to “Ontario Ancestors”
As a descendant of several Ontario families, I am interested in finding a home for the research materials I have collected on them, particularly the descendants of Samuel Wallace (1780-1842), who with his wife and nine children came from County Monaghan, Ireland in 1829 and settled at Chinquagousy in York (now Peel) County. Allied families through marriage were the Browetts and Barkers of Ingersoll, Anthony Mulligan of Indiana, ON, and his daughters who married into the Walsh, Hobberlin and Gardiner families. The material I have collected occupies about one linear foot and includes a copy of Francis Huston Wallace’s unpublished “Memories” (1923), Graham Chambers Hunter’s “Our Family History” (1958), along with some original letters and photographs and copies of other documents. If you are interested in preserving this material, I am offering it as an unrestricted donation to Ontario Ancestors.
Thank you for visiting the OnGenealogy directory. You’ll need to direct your generous offer to Ontario Ancestors at their organization’s email account: email@example.com or call them at 1-855-697-6687.
Best with your family history efforts,