The Rhode Island State Archives is the official archive for the State of Rhode Island and has some helpful digitized collections for genealogy and family history and many more collections onsite.
Birth, Marriage, and Death Records
- Census and Census Substitutes
Daily Life Records
- Rhode Island Social Sites – There are many Rhode Island Genealogy sites for networking with Rhode Island researchers, including Facebook, Twitter, message boards, and mailing lists. I’ve found some great resources for my genealogy research just by watching the useful links posted on Facebook sites. At the top of Facebook group pages, they often have a “files” section where they share Rhode Island records. It can be a goldmine!
- Rhode Island Facebook Groups and Pages
- Descendants of Rhode Island Founding Families, a Facebook group
- Genealogical & Historical Groups/Pages on Facebook Facebook Groups that may be of interest to Rhode Islanders, compiled by Katherine Willson. “Katherine Willson serves on the Membership Committee for the Federation of Genealogical Societies, teaches Genealogy classes, does private genealogy research, and has compiled this list of over 11,000 Facebook genealogy links. Joining a Facebook community for the locale or subject you’re researching is a great way to connect with other researchers. Each group will have its own rules for posting so read the “description” of the group in the right-hand column (beneath the members’ names). If you haven’t already joined the Facebook community, genealogy research is a great reason to take the plunge!” From Top Free Genealogy Message Boards.
- Rhode Island Twitter Accounts
- Rhode Island Twitter leads
- @OneRIFamily, Rhode Island blogger at onerhodeislandfamily.wordpress.com
- @DLGenealogist, Chief Genealogist at New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) and guest host of Extreme Genes radio program
- @MyHeritage, they’ll tweet deals, new records, free weeks, blogs, and webinars
- @Ancestry, they’ll tweet deals, new records, free weeks, blogs, and webinars
- @AmericanExperts, NEHGS official twitter account, AmericanAncestors.org, they specialize in New England records and they’ll tweet deals, new records, free weeks, blogs, and webinars
- @findmypast, they’ll tweet deals, new records, free weeks, blogs, and webinars
- Why you should join and use Twitter for Genealogy
- How to use Twitter lists for Genealogy
- Rhode Island Message Boards
- Rhode Island Message Boards at RootsWeb
- Rhode Island Message Boards at Ancestry “RootsWeb and the Message boards at Ancestry.com are the same thing. This is a free family history message board. RootsWeb was purchased by Ancestry.com and Ancestry has kept it as a free offering and they have merged the message boards. You can search by Locale, Surname, Topic, or Keyword. They boast 25 million posts over 198,000 boards so there’s a lot of content.” From Top Free Genealogy Message Boards.
- Rhode Island Mailing Lists
- CousinConnect for Rhode Island, now Adopted.com from Top Free Genealogy Message Boards.
- GenForum for Rhode Island “GenForum is a free genealogy message board. It was started by Genealogy.com which was acquired by Ancestry.com and is kept as a separate message board/forum from RootsWeb.” From Top Free Genealogy Message Boards.
- Yahoo! Groups Rhode Island Ancestors Group
- Rhode Island Resource Sharing
- Rhode Island Lookups by Volunteers, (RootsWeb is down now but this is the link: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rigenweb/lookups.html)please read the guidelines before making a request
- Providence County freebies
- Rhode Island USGenWeb Project Archives “free online data for genealogical research. These archives are dependent on volunteers, people just like you, donating their time by transcribing public domain records or other non-copyrighted primary sources.”
- Rhode Island Mailing Lists
- Rhode Island Gen Web Mailing list (RootsWeb is down now but this is the link: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rigenweb/#Mailing List) “This mailing list is for discussions with others who are researching their Rhode Island ancestry, or who have other genealogical or historical interests in the state of Rhode Island. You will also get up-to-the minute RIGenWeb news.”