United States Census of Merchant Seamen, 1930 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a name-searchable index and images of records the Merchant Seamen schedules from the 1930 U.S. federal census. The index was provided by Ancestry.
The following states have registered vessels listed in this census:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Merchant Seaman Schedules?
- Full name
- Age (can be used to calculate an approximate birth year)
- Marital status (single, married, widowed, or divorced)
- Able to read and write
- Naturalized citizen or alien
- If able to speak English
- Whether a military veteran
- Address of spouse or next of kin
How Can Merchant Seamen Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Use the age listed to determine an approximate birth date. This date along with the place of birth can help you find a birth record. Birth records often list biographical and marital details about the parents and close relatives other than the immediate family
- Use the race information to find records related to that ethnicity such as records of the Freedmen’s Bureau or Indian censuses
- Use the naturalization information to find their naturalization papers in the county court records. It can also help you locate immigration records such as a passenger list which would usually be kept records at the port of entry into the United States