United States Index to General Correspondence of the Pension Office, 1889-1904 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a searchable name index and images of the name and subject index for correspondence from the US Records and Pension Office, War Department.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Pension Records?
- Name of soldier
- Unit of service
- Name of person/office making the inquiry
- Subject of inquiry
How Can Pension Records Help Me Find Other Records?
With information from these records you may be able to:
- Information about military units was generally filed under the name of its commanding officer
- Continue to search the index and records to identify other relatives
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur