United States, New England Seamen’s Identification Cards, 1918-1940 is a free collection at FamilySearch with browsable images of Seamen’s Identification Cards including Seamen’s Coastwise Identification Cards, Seamen’s Protection Certificates, and Seamen Service & Protection Certificates.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
The following information may be found in these records:
- Place of birth
- Place of father’s birth
- Place of mother’s birth
- If naturalized, where and when
- Birth date
- Physical description
- Thumb print
The records include identification cards of Seamen departing from or arriving at the following ports: Boston, Vineyard Haven, Salem/Beverly, Marblehead, Fall River, New Haven, Portland, and Providence. The record includes name, age, place of birth, parent’s birthplace, naturalization data, physical description, photo, and signature. The records can be found at NARA Northeast Region facility in Waltham, Massachusetts. This collection includes records from 1918 to 1940.
- District of Boston and Charlestown, Massachusetts, Seamen’s Identification cards,1917-1922 NAID 3477933
- District of Salem and Beverly,Massachusetts, Seamen’s Coastwise Identification Cards for Salem, 7/1918-12/1918 NAID 3477999
- District of Marblehead, Massachusetts, Seamen’s Coastwise Identification Cards, 7/1918-10/1918 NAID 3477979
- District of Boston and Charlestown,Massachusetts, Applications for Seamen’s Protection Certificates and Identification Cards for Boston, 2/12/1918-11/24/1939 NAID 3444809
- District of Providence, Rhode Island, Applications for Seamen’s Protection Certificates for Providence, 5/1928-10/1940 NAID 3477996
- District of Connecticut, Applications for Seamen’s Protection Certificates for New Haven, 2/1937-7/1937 NAID 3477982
- District of Boston and Charlestown, Alien’s Applications for Seamen Service and Protection Certificates for Boston, 12/1931-7/1935 NAID 3476677
- District of Portland, Maine, Application’s for Seamen’s Protection Certificates for Portland,8/1927-11/1937 NAID 3477986