Vermont, Probate Files, 1800-1921 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a searchable name index and images of probate estate files. Each estate consists of multiple images.
Currently, images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
What Can I Learn from Vermont Probate Records?
These records may include:
- Name of testator or deceased
- Names of heirs such as a spouse, children, and other relatives or friends
- Name of executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Residence of testator
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (These are used to approximate event dates, i.e. a will was usually written near the time of death.)
- Description and value of personal property or land owned by the deceased