Virginia, Surry County Marriage Records, 1735-1950 is a free collection at FamilySearch with nearly 20,000 Surry County, Virginia marriage records. This is a searchable name index and includes browsable images.
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
[su_heading size=”18″]What Can I Learn from these Virginia Marriage records?[/su_heading]
These marriage records may include:
- Full Name of the Bride
- Full Name of the Groom
- Marriage Date and Place
- Birthdate and Birthplace of the Bride and Groom
- Age, Residence, and Occupation of the Bride and Groom
- Race and previous marital status of the Bride and Groom
- Name of Bride’s Parents
- Name of Groom’s Parents
- Birthplaces of Bride and Groom
- Officiator at wedding
- Witnesses to the marriage
[su_heading size=”18″]How Can Marriage Records Help Me Find Other Records?[/su_heading]
With Virginia Marriage Records information you can:
- Use the Bride or Groom’s age or birth date and marriage place to look for possible birth records for the Bride or Groom in this area.
- Use previous marriage notations to look for other marriage records for the Bride or Groom
- Use the names and marriage place to find the Bride or Groom in a state or federal census with their families.
- Compile family group sheets with the information you glean from censuses and search for birth, marriage, and death dates for each family member.
- Use the parents’ names and Bride & Groom’s place of marriage to search for these families in a local city directory
- learn about the parents’ employment from a city directory search
- Use the Bride and Groom’s place of marriage and Parents’ names to search for any land, tax, or court records
- Use the names you find to look for draft registration records or military service records.