Wales, Glamorgan Parish Register Marriages, 1837-1922 is a free collection at FamilySearch with a searchable name index of parish marriage records in Glamorgan, England.
“This collection contains marriage banns and registers from the Glamorgan Archives (formerly known as the Glamorgan Record Office) and the National Library of Wales. The majority of the people included were married by banns. Banns were posted three consecutive weeks in the parish church, during which time members of the congregation could bring forward objections to the marriage. Others, who wished to marry more quickly, or in a distant parish could be married by licence for a fee. The marriage registers indicate whether the couple married by banns or by licence.”
You’ll need to be logged in with a free FamilySearch account to search these records. It’s easy to register for a free account at FamilySearch.
[su_heading size=”18″]What Can I Learn from Welsh Marriage Records?[/su_heading]
These marriage records may include:
- Date and Place of Marriage
- Groom’s Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Groom’s Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Bride’s Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Bride’s Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Birthplaces of Bride and Groom
- Witnesses’ Names, Age and Occupation