Western Massachusetts Genealogical Society is an organization that supports genealogy and family history research in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
WMGS serves the Western Massachusetts counties of Hampden, Hampshire, Berkshire and Franklin, as well as the Connecticut counties of Litchfield, Hartford and Tolland including anyone with ancestors from this area.
Local, as well as nationally known speakers, are featured at monthly meetings held at the Agawam Senior Center in Agawam, Massachusetts. The presentations are either live or in a virtual format that greatly expands the pool of talented genealogists along with experts in related fields who present educational programs.
we invite you to:
- browse our website, which offers many resources
- attend our next meeting. Free refreshments are served
- join to enjoy the benefits of our society
- contact us with your questions or thoughts, and always feel free to share a story
- follow us on social media: Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter
Reasons to Join our Society
- Meet people with similar interests of family history and genealogy
- Attend monthly meetings featuring local and national presenters
- Receive assistance from our members on your family research
- Attend our free genealogy research clinics held twice per month ($10 per session for non-members)
- Share our library of resources including books and CDs
- Access to our archive of previously recorded presentations back to 2015, the DNA Boot Camp videos, and handouts in the Members Only section of our website
- Opportunity to serve as a volunteer, coach, or be a member of the Board of Directors
- Join us on exclusive WMGS field trips
One of our key ‘member benefits’ is access to the members-only page containing archived recordings of speakers from around the US: Judy G Russell, Maureen Taylor, Connie Fitzpatrick, Elissa Scalise Powell, Dr. Shelley Murphy, Nora Galvin, ‘DearMYRTLE’ a/k/a Pat Richley-Erickson, Russ Worthington, Melissa Barker, Jennifer Alford and our own Panel of Pros. The page also includes the handouts from most of those meetings and historical copies of ‘American Elm,’ the original WMGS newsletter publication. We will send you a welcome letter with the confidential password to access the Members Only section of our website.
Annual membership runs from September 1 – August 31 each year. New memberships received between July 1st through August 31st, will be for the next calendar year. Membership rates are currently:
• $30 for an individual membership
• $45 for a couple of the same household
• $15 for students
• $500 for Lifetime membership
(For the purpose of memberships, “couples” is defined as a person with their spouse or significant other living at the same address. “Student” is defined as anyone under the age of 22 currently attending school. “Lifetime” is defined as any one person taking a lifetime membership.)