September is Save Your Photos Month and the Association of Personal Photo Organizers (APPO) has free videos and handouts as part of their Save Your Photos Summit.
Save Your Photos Summit
This is a month-long series taught by professionals geared toward photo preservation and storage. You can sign up this month to receive free access to videos, handouts, and printables.
And watch for the hashtag #SaveYourPhotos to see what’s being offered across social media channels.
Three Reasons Why You Should Sign Up Now
- APPO has brought together professionals with diverse teaching and preservation techniques and you’ll have the chance to sample different ideas and points of view for printed and digital photo management.
- Even if you don’t have time to watch the videos this month, and new courses are being released each week of September, if you sign up this month the videos remain free for you to view at a later time.
- Even if you never have time to watch the videos, you can download or print the handouts and read them at your leisure (even if that means ten years later).
How to View the Free Photo Tutorials & Handouts
- Go to https://www.photoorganizers.academy and in the upper right-hand corner of the page, select Sign In
- You’ll be brought to a page with All Courses, select one of the FREE courses (they have subscription courses as well). I selected View Course for the Save Your Photos Summit.
- You can either scroll to the bottom of the course page to see the entire curriculum or select Enroll for free to start the course
- You can add your name to their email list to receive tips, etc or just scroll to the bottom of the page and select Next
- You’ll be taken to a page that says you’ve completed the Summit Overview, scroll to the bottom of the page and select Next
- The first video in the curriculum will be on this page. This is “The ABCs of Photo Organizing” and you’ll just hit the play button (the white arrow in a blue box on the video) and watch the tutorial.
- Select Next and you’ll be taken to a screen with more videos, printables, and handouts OR select the icon in the upper-left hand corner of the page and you’ll see a list of curriculum currently available. If you want to jump to a handout, printable, or different video, just select it from the left-side menu.
- Handouts & Printables: when you open a handout page, the download button for the handout is at the top of each page, you don’t have to sign up for the author’s email list to receive the handout
- When you have the option (in the upper-left hand corner of the page) to view Dashboard or My Dashboard, this will show you the curriculum you’ve watched and you can select Resume Course to jump back to where you left off.
What I’ve Gleaned So Far
I’m trying to finish digitizing family photos, letters, etc. but after watching APPO CEO Cathi Nelson’s ABCs sorting method, I’m going to spend a day and resort some favorite photos and scan my As, the photos she calls “the best of the best! The ones that belong in an album and the memories that you would mourn about if you lost them.” I want a smaller, selected digital file of these “best of the best” photos. That tip alone made signing up for APPOs Save Your Photos Summit worth it for me.
I’ve also learned that if your photos are a mess, it’s best to go with a theme-based approach (Christmases, Vacations, etc, rather than worrying about creating a perfect chronological order).
Here’s the APPO Save Your Photos Summit Weekly Topics:
- Printed Photos
- Digital Photos
- Converting Outdated Media
- Celebrate and Share
- Bits and Bytes
Below is a pinnable image to remind you not to miss this September special. Please follow these OnGenealogy Pinterest Boards for more tips from other bloggers: