7 Free Genealogy Steals in January include:
- FindMyPast.com has free access to over 8 billion records 22-25 January. Local subscribers get World access; World subscribers get 3 additional days added to their subscription. If you have any UK heritage, this is a must!
- Ancestry.com has free access to all Australian records 22-26 January *AEDT (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
- MyHeritage.com has a large collection of free digitized books available for searching/reading (over 37 million pages in 150,000 books relevant to family history). Read about the collection here. Search the collection for your ancestors here. Just tried this and found a clue for my hard-to-trace Canadian ancestry! Must finish blog quickly and get back to the search!
January 22, 2016 | Alyson Mansfield
This is a free American Ancestors account offer for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
NEHGS or AmericanAncestors.org
AmericanAncestors.org is a website created by the staff at the New England Historic Genealogical Society. “Founded in 1845, the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) is the country’s leading resource for family history research. We help genealogists of all skill levels improve their knowledge and understanding of their family and its place in history. Although our name says New England, we provide expertise and research in nearly all aspects of family history, from 17th-century colonial New England through twentieth-century immigration research.” They have an online database with over 400 million searchable names.
Follow these instruction to create your free American Ancestors account:
- Log in to FamilySearch.org
(If you don’t already have an account with FamilySearch.org, you’ll need to create one using your LDS membership number. If you don’t know your membership member you can ask for it from a church clerk or member of the bishopric.)
- Select “Get Help” in the upper right corner
- Select “Help Center” in the left column of the pop-up
- Select “Partners” in the icon of shaking hands
- Select “Our Partners”
- Select “AmericanAncestors”
- Select “Create Your Free American Ancestors Account”
FamilySearch.org will verify you have an LDS membership number and you’ll see a new page that says “You Qualify for a FREE American Ancestors Affiliate Account” and you’ll be given the option to create a free American Ancestors account.
If you have never had an American Ancestors account,
- Select “Continue for your Free AmericanAncestors.org Account”
If you have a paid account or a free trial,
- Select “Sign in to connect your account”
This will connect your current/past account to your new free membership. You won’t be reimbursed for what you’ve already paid but you won’t be billed for future payments.
You can now create a new login and password for your American Ancestors account that will be separate from your login and password for your FamilySearch account.
If you are not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you can create a free FamilySearch.org account but you will not be given the free partner accounts such as AmericanAncestors.org, Ancestry.com, MyHeritage.com, etc.
April 17, 2015 | Alyson Mansfield